New Guideline LXI Rod
I had a chance today to try one of Guideline’s new LXI
rods at the Clonanav Flyfishing
Centre.
These rods are replacing the LeCie range so had a lot to
live up to, I can happily say that they do this and much much more.
Being a big fan of the LeCie rods I was really looking
forward to trying this rod. The LeCie 13’7” 10/11 F is one of my all time favourite fishing rods
especially when fishing fast sinking heads and large flies early in the season.
This rod always gave me the performance of a 15’ rod in a compact easy to use
package. A 10/11 3D line cut back to 41 grams always flew as afar as I ever
needed and is my go to combo in high water and nasty conditions.
It was for this reason that I was delighted that the demo
LXI rod was the 13’ 9” 10/11.
Straight away the quality of the cork handle was
apparent, one of the best I have
seen a long time with little or no filler and some practical & tasteful
composite in the right places. This made for a very comfortable feel in the
hand.
The black down locking reel seat was solid, not fussy and practical.
The guides were all correctly aligned and the varnish was
perfect with no blemishes or excess around the guides/rings. And while the
noise from the rings on the LeCies with a dry line never bothered me many
people will be happy to know that the LXI rings are completely silent.
The rod is rated for a 40 – 43 gram shooting head and a
660 grain skagit head. So this is indeed a powerful rod and it’s slightly
deeper flex will allow this power to be easlily tapped into.
The Blank has a very solid & smooth feel to it when
flexed/loaded.
I used a 10/11 3D F/H/I cut back to 41 grams (this is the
line I use on the LeCie) for the test and while for my taste I would prefer 43
grams, the rod performed impeccably. The slightly deeper flex and lighening
quick recovery made for some very nice casts with staggering line speed
requiring very little effort on behalf of the caster. This rod has certainly
got a power boost over it predecessor, but its power that’s easy to use.
I can’t wait
to try this rod with a heavier head, a 43 gram I/2/4 would be my choice for the spring. A 660 skagit will will
definitly be agood combo and
you’ll be able to cast half a rabbit with it.
I was mightly impressed with this rod and look forward to
trying some of the lighter line models also.

I am Jealous! Thats the exact rod I am thinking of for those big rivers. Glad to hear you liked it, cant wait to get my hands on it!
ReplyDeleteLXi looks promising alright. The handle looks more to my liking. I have a 14' 9/10 LPXe and love the blank. I would prefer a slimmer handle however. Seriously considering the 12'9'' 8/9. Great review Kieran.
ReplyDeleteHello Kieran,
ReplyDeleteI liked your review about this Guideline rod model.
Now I'm thinking to buy the 13' 9" #10/11 and my question is about the correct balance with reels.
Do you think that a 300/310 grams reel would be correct on this rod to using shooting heads of 42/44 grams?.
Thanks and best regards.
Sorry just seen this comment now, that weight would be fine, the reels I use are from about 280 to 300. It'll also depend on where you keep your top hand on the handle. But those weights should give it since low swing weight.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Kieran.
ReplyDeleteBest regards.